Wednesday, 18 July 2007

Film - 28 Days Later

Science Fiction Movie
Directed by Danny Boyle
Produced by Andrew Macdonald
Written by Alex Garland
Staring, Cillian Murphy and Naomie Harris




A film, I felt was basically based on zombies, yet took another elaborate form. An infection, spreading the world. Nevertheless the film did not bore me and I feel it was directed well (some places better than others.) Although the film was a taking a lightly serious subject it had light-hearted moments too. In comparison to the film ‘Children of men,’ of which I have recently seen, ‘28 Days Later’ was far less brutal and less realistic. Children of Men reminded me more of the concentration camp brutality in the 2nd world war, perhaps that’s why it felt more real. You could question whether this took away from the genre from the film, however I felt it made it easier to watch. A film you could pick up any time of day.

A scene I particularly noted was near the beginning when the main character Jim wakes up from his hospital bed to find an empty world, (while the world had been overwhelmed with infection he had been left in a comma from a accident he had previous had before the infection had taken over). The scene shot in London is amazing – and a clever choice of place. Never have I, nor anyone seen London people-less. I wonder how they managed to shoot such a scene? The scene is shown in total silence for a rather long period of time, I felt this really set the scene for the whole movie. The silence device really makes you empathise with Jim, for being alone and not knowing what had happened.

The film even managed to explore the growth of relation ships, and survival instincts of different characters. Another scene I liked was when the four main characters are left to there own devises in a supermarket, some how the ability to pick up what ever you like never mind the cost created quite a light hearted scene, I liked it. They also capture one of the characters leaving his credit card by the cash desk, which in someone ways suggested there was no chance for survival and civilization.

I saw two endings to the film, which I felt was rather unusual. The second after the credits, which I felt was better and more realistic than the first. Jim dies and there in uncertainty of what the two remaining characters that are left are going to do. The first ending seemed a little too unrealistic.

http://www.28dayslaterthemovie.co.uk/ here’s a link explaining the film in a bit more detail.

Have you seen it? What did you think?

1 comment:

Z said...

I watched this film just recently, and thought it was a good piece of work. I like how they didn't shoot on traditional film, opting for DV instead- thus giving the film a much more gritty and realistic look.
I was also amazed at how they shot in popular London locations without anybody there. I watched the extras and directors commentary, and apparently they filmed really early in the mornings so nobody would be there. But they still had to be wary of any people getting home from a late night out. In other scenes they had assistance from the police, closing down roads. And in some road scenes, they filmed at normal hours, but digitally removed the cars in post production.