Thursday, 19 July 2007

Mail On Sunday



I love this ad, It's not afraid to be too stereotypical, which makes it funny. It suggests that Sunday is the day of rest and the best way to rest is to read The Mail on Sunday. It is both for women and men. It takes the form of a battle scene that reminds me of a scene from The Lord of the Rings.

It just shows how elaborate and exaggerated an advert can be to sell a simple everyday product, which has already been out for a long time. Good use of digital design to elaborate the battle.

7 comments:

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ksw said...

I like this advert as well- although it is so long and so dramatic that I feel disappointed when I find out what it's for!

The gender stereotyping is done in a way that is tongue-in-cheek enough so as not to be offensive.

Liz Dickinson said...

I've not seen this ad before, its great! The exaggerated battle scene is humorous with the sterotypical actions, yet the serious acting and the story-telling voice of the narrator at the end, makes this ad watchable. The end is slightly cheesy...but overall the ad works...informing you that there are now two magazines one for males and one for females to prevent the fights...

Lucy Webb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucy Webb said...

I saw this advert at the cinema last night and I am going to add it to my own blog. You think its going to be some epic story of male/female rivalry, and would never guess what it is advertising until the end. It made me giggle and stuck in my mind, a successful ad I think!

Rachel said...

I think the length of the ad dramatises it. However the product is revealed right at then end, which means the ad needs to grasp your attention for the entirety! I think it manages too as Lucy has also said.

However I do agree with Katherine, I think the ad could now be developed in to some shorter ads, as the first ad has set the brand up.

And Liz, I didn't think of that, it does clearly distinguish that two magazines now come with the paper. The paper is for all!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.