Sunday, 29 July 2007

Memento - Trailer



Starring

Leonard- Guy Pearce
Teddy- Joe Plantoliano
Natalie - Carrie Ann Moss

General plot

Made for $5 million 'Memento is a neo-noir–psychological thriller film written and directed by Christopher Nolan, adapted from his brother Jonathan's short story "Memento Mori." It stars Guy Pearce as Leonard Shelby, a former insurance fraud investigator searching for the man he believes raped and killed his wife during a burglary. Leonard suffers from a form of anterograde amnesia, which he contracted from severe head trauma during his wife's attack. This renders his brain unable to store new memories. To cope with his condition, he maintains a system of notes, photographs, and tattoos on his own body.' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_(film)



I was recommended this film, due to the unusual use of the sequencing of event. Basically the film is played backwards. I.e. they show the ending scene first then rewind and show the penultimate scene next and so fourth. The very idea of using this method seems confusing, however I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to follow. The film was built to be played this way, if it was played the 'right' way which you can opt to do, the twist at the beginning would obviously shown first and effectively ruin the plot. I feel this type of sequencing was so effective that the story was built for the idea rather than the idea built for the story. In a way you are put in place of the character, as he also doesn't know what happened previously. You are invited to piece together and investigate Leonard’s case. I will not ruin the ending, but I feel the twist at the end really added to the film. Altogether a really different, and fresh film. However if you look closely enough there are signs throughout the film revealing the twist.

Its worth having a look at the website which I like- very themed. If you go to the flash site... I like the clever use of titling it as 'otnemem,' although might seem confusing before you see it, I believe it would have been lovely to title the film that on the front cover of the DVD.

I think I may look out for more Christopher Nolan films.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

A great film, so unike anything else I have watched. It is a film which really engages with the viewer. You have to work to understand which is rewarding at the end, as opposed to other films where the film unfolds with you asthe passive spectator.