Friday, 17 August 2007

Saatchi Gallery

The Saatchi Gallery Online Is a great place to find inspirational art. You can find the most contemporary and cutting edge art.

Within the site (www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk) there are also biographies, information on the artist, articles, and other resources.

With the website I found a sub heading 'Which reality?' which held some quite nice pieces of work.

Firstly Inka Essenhigh, here first piece shown bellow is called 'Subway' an oil on canvas, 200x180cm. I love the fluid motion of the piece, created by her 'seamless' application of paint. Which seems appropriate considering the movement on a subway. 'Turning everyday banality into surreal case study, Essenhigh gives humorous portrayal of people at their rush hour worst. Drawing stylistic reference from both graphic novels and golden age animation, caricatured city-types gain comically heroic status, rendering a humble slice of America as grand theatrical drama.' http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/artists/inka_essenhigh.htm




Blue wave 2002 oil on canvas 178x 188cm


Supergod 2001, oil and enamel on canvas 183x 188cm

Another artist I was particularly intressted in is David Throrpe. Instead of using the usual oil on canvas, he created these amazing paper collages. They contain the finest of detail. He creates images of 'scenes of urban isolation oozing sex appeal, 70s social architecture promising budget exotica.'


Forever 1998 Paper collage 136 x 154 cm


Kings of the night 1998, paper collage 149x 168cm


We never sleep 1998 Paper collage 90 x 176 cm

2 comments:

Liz Dickinson said...

I've seen these collages before, they are truley amazing, requiring i imagine a great deal of time and patience. But the end result is as if its been created digitally or painted, its not untill you see it up close that you realise its made out of tiny bits of paper.

Rachel said...

I agree, work like this you can appreciate more up close. However the visual simplicity of form and colour palette is also nice from a distance.