
I like this logo, newly developed for the Kate Moss clothing range in Top Shop. Created by 'masterminded by Peter Saville, in collaboration with typographer Paul Barnes.' The type, hits a nice retro yet modern stylish note, and is relevant to an iconic super model's character. I like the bobbled serifs on the k and s ascenders, as well as the general script style, where the width of the letters changes. I am glad the logo/type face had no added logo or became a signature; the type gives the look a certain sophistication. Some people have mentioned it looks to teenage girly due to the curves, (http://www.creativereview.co.uk/crblog/kate-moss-the-brand/). I feel it comes across more mature curvy, the design is still for women after all, it wouldn’t want to look masculine.
Saville said “We needed something that was popular but quite boho. We didn’t want it to be an exploration of a teenage girl thing as that’s quite trite, and Kate can be a signifier of certain values for the rest of her life, I don’t think she’ll disappear. So we needed something that was right for now, but also had some longevity.”
Apparently it was hard to get 'Moss' looking ok, but they eventually settled on 'a variation on Brodovitch Albro, a typeface by Alexey Brodovitch, the legendary art director of Harper’s Bazaar from 1934-58.'
No comments:
Post a Comment