
Recently drink and drive advertising has indulged in to shock tactics. Here is a different take on a drink and drive advertising! However is it effective? I Like the copy line idea - as an idea- its clever - or more to the point fortunate- however I don't believe its persuasive. I like the basic white copy on a black background- basically stating you either drink or you drive it is as easy as that!
This made me look to an article that I found on http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1813012.stm? To find out is government advertising actually effective?
'New Labour has used advertising like no previous administration, tripling the annual amount spent. Last year it spent £192m, more than consumer goods giant Procter and Gamble.
Are drink/Driving shock tactics wearing off? News that much of this was blown in the run up to a general election, prompted the Conservatives to accuse Labour of sneaking party propaganda into government ads. A welter of campaigns appeared on health, education, anti-smoking and crime prevention, designed, the Tories say, to create the impression of furious government activity. Labour vigorously denied the claim, saying the campaigns were part of long-planned government initiatives.
Advertising is good at selling specific products or policies. But when it comes to altering deep-seated behaviour or entrenched attitudes, the effects can be varied and notoriously difficult to monitor. The government invariably points to successive drink-driving campaigns as an example of advertising that has worked - and saved countless lives. But it seems that campaign's shock tactics may have run their course, with drink-driving figures on the rise again for the first time in years. By contrast, critics say, millions have been spent on anti-drugs ads or anti-teenage smoking campaigns by successive governments with little discernible effect. '
If as suggested shock tactics has run its course, what’s next - do we need to become more extreme to grasp people’s attention?
Here are some more drink drive ad campaigns


I really like the idea bellow- and think could be developed further!
1 comment:
I like the Molson advert... like you said.... it would be good to see this idea taken further... perhaps a TV ad.... drinking from the glass and the car turning over as you drink?
The first ad you posted. the DRI...... nk / ve :
I like the Monochromatic colouring. It's simple and sends a straightforward message. I think that this ad would work better as a 'game' of Hangman. I don't know how it could work... but you would be left with the options of either -ve / -nk and that gives you the choice of either... game end.. or winning.
Post a Comment